Friday, March 11, 2011

Kelly's Fanfiction: Pride and Prejudice - Mr. Wickham Revealed

    Longbourn, the Bennet’s estate, was nestled deep in the heart of the countryside, near the small town of Meryton. The regiment was routinely posted in this quaint town, and young uniformed men brought colour and frivolity into the lives of many a young lady, making life in the country a considerably lighter burden to bear.
    It would not be entirely truthful to say that they brought happiness to all whom they encountered, either personally or by default. For the fathers of these so affected young ladies, would have a fair amount to say concerning the military and its regiment of somewhat callow men. This, of course, were it not for the occasional success in the handing over of a daughter to an ardently devoted, yet rather naive young soldier. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, in the case of Mr. Bennet and his daughters, this was so far not the case, and therefore Mr. Bennet was not favourably disposed towards the regiment and its unseemly disturbance of the peace.
     The first stirrings of dawn brought the most unfortunate news. It came in the form of a letter. Correct the Bennets were in expecting the letter to be from their youngest daughter and sister Lydia, who as of now had spent already a week with Colonel Forster and his wife in Brighton, much to Kitty’s envy. Kitty also received a letter, which she read quietly upon its arrival.  
    Upon Lizzy's return to Longbourn, after traveling with Mr. and Mrs. Gardiner through the north country, finding Lydia gone to Brighton (the town in which the regiment was currently posted), she was exceedingly anxious to hear a report of the goings on. Lizzy had warned her father against sending Lydia alone.

 

“Oh, do hurry Jane,” Mrs. Bennet cried, “My poor nerves cannot cope much longer without news of my dear Lydia.”
“Yes, Mama,” Jane replied, as she rushed to open the letter.
“It is with much happiness that I write you this letter, my dear mother, sisters and of course Papa. This last week has been one of the most delightful I can recall.”
“I dare say we could venture the same,” offered Mr. Bennet.
“As you know, the regiment has been posted here in Brighton, and among them dear Mr. Wickham.”
Dear Mr. Wickham!” exclaimed Lizzy, echoed by Mrs. Bennet.
“It makes me laugh heartily to think of the expressions on your faces as you read this letter. For it has not been but a week since I arrived here in Brighton, and already I have attended two balls, at which I stood up for no less than two and twenty dances."

"Two and twenty!" exclaimed Mrs. Bennet. "Why Mr. Bennet, it appears that our Lydia is catching the eye of many a gentlemen in the regiment." 

"I'm afraid I must cut this letter quite short for Mrs. Forster has suggested a trip into town, and the Colonel insists on our leaving immediately."

"Of that we can hurriedly forgive you my dear," concluded Mr. Bennet, as he rose to retire to his study.


                                               ........................................



"Kitty, are you feeling quite well? You've been dreadfully quiet since the arrival of Lydia’s letters." This, enquired by Jane, the most kind-hearted of the Bennet daughters.

"Jane, it's the most shocking thing. Lydia has just confessed in her letter to me, plans to elope, with Mr. Wickham!"

"But it cannot be," cried Jane. "Why, it hasn't been but ten days since her departure from Longbourn, and I don't recall any real signs of affection on Lydia's side, let alone that of Mr. Wickham."

"I cannot believe it," cried Kitty, close to tears, "My younger sister to be married!"

"But it must be true," declared the innocent Jane.  "Mr. Wickham must truly be in love with Lydia. How astonishing this could have happened so quickly, and with such little warning."

Lizzy, having overheard the conversation, recalled vividly the contents of Mr. Darcy's letter regarding Mr. Wickham, which she had received while staying with the Gardiners in Lambton.

"I'm afraid, dear sisters, that you may have been misled regarding the character of Mr. Wickham, and perhaps his plans of elopement with our poor, but stupid Lydia," began Lizzy. 

"For, while in Derbyshire, I learned something from a most trustworthy source. Something I had not wished to reveal, but that it seems now I must; previous indiscretions of Mr. Wickham that leave his character in a questionable light. I must speak to Father immediately, if we are to prevent such an outcome that will not only result in the loss of our youngest sister, but also in the most public humiliation and degradation, that will deem our entire family a disgrace to society!”
                                                  
                                             ..........................................                


“Oh Lydia, how relieved I am to see you my dear, and just in time to prepare for tomorrow evening’s ball,” cried Mrs. Bennet, rushing to the carriage to meet Lydia and Mr. Bennet.

“I hardly think a ball is what this young lady needs at present,” interrupted Mr. Bennet, “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have urgent business to attend to.”

Lizzy, inquisitively followed, “Father, do tell me what became of Mr. Wickham, after Colonel Forster found them in London. For surely he would not have gotten away with this act, and after his intentions were seen so clearly!”

“Ah, my dear Lizzy, Mr. Wickham’s true character was indeed revealed quite publicly. Colonel Forster, having received news of the alleged elopement, planned to follow the couple and intercept them on their way. Mr. Wickham, after promising an elopement to Scotland, had, when drawing near to London, rather foolishly revealed his intentions to Lydia regarding the avoiding of an immediate marriage. Poor Lydia was quite beside herself upon hearing this, and fortunately, upon their arrival in London, the Colonel intercepted them, and curbed any further plans of Mr. Wickham’s. Upon hearing Lydia’s account of events, it was quite clear to the Colonel regarding Mr. Wickham’s intentions, and he was immediately dismissed from the regiment.”

“Poor Lydia,” sighed Lizzy. “And to think these events have taken place at just fifteen years of age.”

“Yes, poor Lydia, but you must remember Lizzy, Lydia’s disposition, like your mother’s, recovers quickly and forgets readily. It won’t be long until the regiment is again posted in Merryton, and my peace is once again disturbed by the merciless giggles of two of the silliest girls in England. But we pray Lizzy, this experience will have taught Lydia a thing or two, and perhaps even something she will remember beyond tomorrow evening!”

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kelly,

    I think this is really well written. I love pride and prejudice and wish Lydia had escaped from Mr Wickham.The use of language is in great context with the story and nothing is out of place.

    I have however read aloud this paragraph beginning "It would not be entirely..." and I find the later half of it does not flow as well as the beginning of the paragraph or the rest of the story.

    Really enjoyed this and written wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kelly :)
    You piece of Fan Fiction is great, I really enjoyed reading it and the dialog between the characters is well done. I've never actually read the book, well I own it but have only ever read a handfull of pages. The way you write is still in a slightly period style which makes it seem more authentic but its not to the point where the writing is a bit confusing which I found when I read some of the original book. I can see you have a good understanding of the characters and their personalities.

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys,

    Thanks for your comments. I was really trying to get the language right, so glad that it seems okay!

    I can see what you mean Shay about that paragraph. I was trying to fit quite a lot into it, and may have overdone it a little. I'm just going to have a look at it, and see if I can do some re-wording.

    Thanks again,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete